The holidays are a busy time for church and community choirs alike.
With a full schedule of concerts and rehearsals, keeping those choir gowns looking sharp can be a challenge this time of year. That’s why we’ve laid out these easy-to-follow instructions for caring for your gown through the holiday season.
How to clean your choir gown
Choir gowns typically come in two different finishes, shiny and matte. The best way to clean your gown depends on its finish.
Shiny gowns can be safely and effectively cleaned by:
- Dry cleaning
- Washing by hand in cold water and hanging to air dry
Matte gowns, on the other hand, should be dry cleaned only.
How to unwrinkle your choir gown
Whether you’re getting your gown ready ahead of time for next month’s big concert or you’re in a hurry to remove wrinkles last-minute, these unwrinkling methods should leave your gown looking smooth and stage ready.
Here are the four methods that we recommend for removing wrinkles from both shiny and matte choir gowns.
- Hang: the safest and easiest way to remove wrinkles from your gown is to allow it to hang smoothly (not pressed between other clothing items). Allow a shiny gown to hang for at least 48 hours and a matte gown to hang for at least 72 hours to ensure adequate wrinkle removal.
- Iron: place a towel between the gown and the iron and iron on a low heat setting.
- Steam: steam on a low setting for both matte and shiny gowns
- “The Shower Hack”: this safe and easy way to remove wrinkled combines the hanging and steaming methods. Simply place your gown near the shower (but not so close that it can be splashed by water), run a hot shower, and leave the bathroom door closed for at least 20 minutes.
Caring for choir stoles
Stoles and V-stoles should be dry cleaned only.
Ironing your stole is not recommended. If you do choose to use an iron, be sure to place a thick piece of fabric between the stole and the iron
Custom printed stoles shout NOT be ironed, as the ink may melt.
A steamer on a low setting is a good way to safely remove wrinkles from your stole
Our choir gowns are made from high-quality materials and built to last. If you follow these simple care instructions, your gown should stay looking great through the holiday season and beyond.