Summer break can be a challenging time when it comes to keeping kids entertained. There are so many options out there, but it can be tough to get the kiddos motivated enough to get outside the house and away from their screens.
Here are some of our favorite summer activities for families:
Get outside and get moving
- Go fishing. You can find a fishing spot near you using the National Park Service’s Find a Park tool.
- Play miniature golf.
- Build an obstacle course in the backyard. No better way to bring out your young ones' inner American Ninja Warriors.
- Visit nearby parks. Many local parks have summer programs for kids, including arts and crafts, sports and more.
- Play with clay. You can buy modeling clay at any craft store or online.
- Decorate walkways with chalk.
- Enjoy a relaxing spa day
- Museums. Check out your local museum's summer schedule for special programs and exhibitions geared towards kids.
- Spa day. Everyone could use a little relaxation. Why not treat the family to a day at the spa?
- Volunteer with a local charitable organization. Giving back is a great way to spend summer break.
Share the fun of cooking
- Make a pizza together. You can use store-bought dough or make your own.
- Make lemonade. Bonus points for taking your summer treat outside to sell to passers by in the neighborhood.
- Grill fest. Fire up the grill and cook up your favorite summer foods.
- Make ice cream. You don't need an ice cream maker to make homemade ice cream. All you need is a little creativity and some ingredients from your kitchen pantry.